Before Memorial Day was Decoration Day

Decoration Day

This ad for the Reliable Clothing Store, published in The Reading Eagle on May 28, 1920, urged readers to shop for new and appropriate Decoration Day outfits. The store even had Men’s and Boys’ suits on sale for 10-20% off so there would be “no excuse for not being properly appareled when Decoration Day comes around.” The holiday was officially called “Decoration Day” until 1967 when “Memorial Day” became the official name. 

(Reproduced with the permission of The Reading Eagle Company)